Mar 8, 2013

Please Boycott MangaFox and Other Manga Aggregators

Update 3/08/2013 --

Mangafox was cooperating with us, but this week, Mangafox still won't remove our releases after 2 requests this week...

My only beef is that I nicely asked MF to remove our work. If any mangaka asked us to stop translating their work, we would stop. It's common courtesy. All they have to do is stop uploading our work and remove our work when we ask. MF has plenty of "contributors" that willingly upload their own work. They don't need our work.
--------------------------------------
MangaFox has shut the part of their forum that allows scanlation groups to request takedowns of their materials.  MangaFox, also, removed take down privileges from their moderators. (more info) After doing this, the owner of MangaFox, NOEZ, has been reposting materials that groups have specifically asked to be removed.  MangaFox clearly has no respect for scanlation groups or manga in general.  It clear to me that it is MangaFox's intent to suck English translated manga dry and when it's dead, move on to the next victim.  I realize that MangaFox makes it easy to read a wide variety of manga series and I realize that this group's existence enables MangaFox.  However, it was never my intention to enrich anybody else but the creators of the series we translate.  This leaves me in a difficult place because I want to give unknown artist and unknown titles exposure, continue having fun discussing manga with fans, and create wonderful translations, but at the same time, I can't stop parasites like MangaFox.
The truth of matter is only the artists and the Japanese publishers can put an end to sites like MangaFox.  I have no rights in the matter (beyond the use of my translation).  As I see it, there are only two things I can do.  One:  I can close this group and effectively quit supplying MangaFox with content, and two: I can encourage each and every one of you not to visit MangaFox and instead read licensed manga series legally through purchase or at the library and for unlicensed manga, get the materials directly from the scanlation group's website. Baka Manga Updates is a good resource for finding unlicensed manga: http://www.mangaupdates.com/releases.html

I know I'm asking a lot of you, but sites like MangaFox rely on your clicks to get money from advertising.  If you love manga and you want to see more of it in English, don't support sites like MangaFox.  Support the publishers and the artists and if you see something you like being scanlated, let the publishers know that there is an eager audience.

Comments are welcomed, but any hostile or inflammatory comments will not be published.
-----------------------
Reprint of some comments from and ex-MF staff member:

Being a former staff member on MF, this does make me feel sad seeing things come down to this. People who upload your manga most likely do it with the intention of trying to get that top contributor spot on MF's main page. I doubt that most of them even care about any scanlation groups' hosting policies now that NOEZ controls the backend. They'll just accept every chapter or series uploaded.

As for NOEZ, it's frustrating trying to get them to do anything.  They could care less about scanlation groups who offer very little profit to their site. The big 3 mangas are the ones that generate majority of MF's profit. While NOEZ is openly breaking every scanlator's hosting policies, the volunteer staff often takes a lot of the blame. I remember having staff members removed from staff due to NOEZ because they were trying to follow the policies of the scanlation groups. At this point, I doubt that any volunteer staff will truly have control over the Backend in the future. 

If you really wanted to show NOEZ something then I suppose you could try to get groups that are scanlating any of the big 3 to hold it back for some time. I do recall NOEZ staffers going ballistic in the past over not having a steady source of scanlations for Naruto. Whether or not others want to do that really depends but it's worth a shot.
--------------
From what I recall, MF and mangareader are competing hosting sites and Red Hawk has them both as affiliates. I don't think Red Hawk is paid by them in any way. The only way for MF to shut down is for, as you said in your first post, for Japanese publishers to file a lawsuit. I know Viz basically slapped down onto MF a letter stating they would take legal action if any of the manga on their list of mangas they published remained up. I don't know how Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece are up. I'm assuming they pay the company a fraction of what they make from ads but who knows what is really happening.

If you are going to boycott any NOEZ sites then I can list a few:
Mangahere
Animehere [ZOMG]
Otakuzone
Otakushop (I personally think this is the worst site NOEZ has come up with so far. They basically sell counterfeit merchandise made by their factories in China. I had heard from a friend of mine that the shipping was free but I haven't confirmed it since I would probably rip apart most of the people who purchase items from there. I suppose that's a nice way to reel in ignorant customers. Yay free shipping -_-)

If you want to spread this message, maybe it would be a good idea to include a page on being against hosting sites rather than it being together on the credit page.