Nov 28, 2011

Torn About AnS from the Magazine

Update: Thanks to everyone who thoughtfully responded right away.  Your love of AnS is clear and I hear it.  I think the majority of you understand the difficulty of working with a bad raw and that we as a group don't want to do mediocre releases if there's an alternative.  So...here's what we're going to do:

  • Chapter 28 will be released as scheduled in December
  • In place of releasing a mediocre Chapter 29 in January, we will release the extras from Volume 6.
  • Chapter 29 will be done from the tankoubon as soon as we get it.  My hope is that it will be released sometime in February.
  • Chapter 30 and beyond we will consider month to month.  Hopefully, at least chapters 30 and 31 will be printed in the nice section of Lala so there won't be much of a gap.  I will do the translation along with the Lala releases and post summaries for those who want to be spoiled. 
------------------------------------------------------------
Update:  Just to clarify, chapter 28 is coming out in December.  Chapter 29 is one I'm talking about.  It was planned for January.  We are going to move it to February so we can use a high quality raw.  My concern is what happens if the volume 8 chapters in Lala are crappy.  This could lead to a 4 month gap if we only use the tankoubon.

I just got Lala 1/2012 today and "Akagami no Shirayukihime" was printed in the crappy section of the magazine.  The image quality is not what I would like it to be.  Consquently, the resulting release would looks very different from the quality all of you and I are not used to.
It is my preference to work from a nice raw because Akiduki's drawings are gorgeous and deserve to be showcased.  At the same time, I realize that the team and I have volunteered to serve more than just ourselves.  I imagine there are those of you for whom legible is good enough.  So the question is whether we as a group put the time and effort into cleaning and redrawing what would be a medium quality (at best) release or do we wait for the tankoubon and do high quality releases?  My feeling is now that AnS is monthly the tankoubon will be released every five or six months and volume 7 will be released in February 2012.  We would release chapter 28 in December as planned and then go from the tankoubon after.  If we work from the magazine, we will not go back and redo it from the tankoubon, so whatever crap comes out of Lala magazine is what you would get.
---------------------------

Update:  I think skipping a release in January isn't a big deal.  The real problem comes after Chapter 30 if they continue to print the series in the crappy part of the magazine.  We'd have to wait until the 8th volume to continue which could potentially be in the late summer :(.  I think, though, chapter 3/29 is too important to do a poor job on.  I'm really baffled as to why such an important chapter was printed so poorly.

Anyhow, I want to know how you all feel about it.  Please leave a comment with your thoughts and suggestions.  I will also put up a poll in the right side column of this blog.